The Juicy Mojito
– 1 shot white rum
– Sprig of fresh mint
– 4 slices fresh lime
– Sparkling water
– Tsp rice malt syrup or agave, optional but not necessary
Layer a glass with ice, mint and lime wedges (squeeze slightly to release the juice as you throw them in). Top with rum and sparkling water. Alternatively make a large jug for your guests.
Figs and Goat Cheese Toasties
2 jars/packets organic goats cheese
1 large sourdough organic baguette OR sprouted seed crackers
1 tbsp fennel seeds
5 fresh figs, torn or sliced as desired
Gently toast the fennel seeds in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Thinly slice the bread, drizzle with good olive oil and toast under a grill or on the BBQ. Allow to cool. Spread over the cheese, sprinkle with fennel seeds and top with a slice of fresh fig. Tips: Fig jam, red onions cooked down and caramelised in balsamic vinegar or a drizzle of balsamic glaze to serve are all delicious additions.
Best BBQ Prawns
– 700g raw king prawns, deveined
– 4 tbsp olive oil
– Juice of lemon or lime
– 1/2 bunch chopped fresh parsley
– 4 cloves garlic, chopped finely
– ¼ tsp ground black pepper
– 1 tsp chilli flakes to taste (optional)
In a large bowl combine the olive oil, lemon juice, parsley, garlic and black pepper and chilli if desired. Add prawns and toss to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Meanwhile soak wooden skewers in water if not using steel. Thread prawns onto skewers. Lightly oil and cook prawns on a hot BBQ or under the grill until lightly opaque.
– 2/3 cup cooked & cooled red quinoa
– 1 can lentils, drained and rinsed Toasted pine nuts
– 1 punnet yellow cherry tomatoes
– 1 cup pitted cherries, seeds removed
– 4 handfuls baby spinach leaves
– 1 block goats feta
– 3 sprigs fresh thyme
– Pink salt and pepper
– Raspberry dressing or a dressing made with honey, lemon, thyme and olive oil.
On a large serving platter layer the ingredients. Dress just before serving.
– 125g butter or coconut oil 1/2 cup raw honey
– 1 egg
– 2 1/2 cups unbleached spelt flour
– 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1 tbsp powdered ginger
– 1 tsp real vanilla extract
– 1 tsp cinnamon
– dates, dried cherries or apricots,
Preheat oven to 160 degrees. Cream butter & honey with an electric mixer, Add egg and continue beating for 30 seconds. Stir through remaining ingredients. Knead until smooth. Cover and rest in the fridge for 20 minutes. Roll out on a floured surface to about 1/2cm thick. Use desired cookie cutter. Place on a baking tray lined with baking paper, gently press chosen dried fruit to form a face and buttons. Bake for 15 minutes or until very lightly golden. Cool on a cooling rack. Makes 16.
Tips: use different coloured cherries for buttons. Use this recipe to build a star tree and dust with desiccated coconut for snow.
Recipes curtesy of Kira Westwick