Are You Someone Who Is Glued To Your Desk Almost All Day Long & Struggle To Get Your Steps Up?
Hitting 8-10k steps can seem like a bit of a far stretch, but it’s not as hard as you think!
But why is it so important to get your steps up? While it’s great to spend 30-60 min in the gym, you also need to take into account how much you move in the remainder of your waking hours.
As coaches we often hear “your are always so fit looking because your train 3 times a day”, well no it actually has a lot to do with our average steps being consistently around 10-14k per day.
If your goal is to improve your physique, it might not mean you need to ‘workout’ more, but rather MOVE more in ways that aren’t super strenuous and won’t have a negative impact on your body.
Here are some easy ways to increase your incidental activity/steps:
• First, start tracking your steps using a watch eg. FitBit, Garmin, Apple, TomTom, the health app on your phone or a good ol’ pedometer.
• Start with a 20-30 min walk.
• Park farther away.
• Eat lunch & then go for a walk during your break.
• Take the stairs.
• Walk while on work calls, rather than sitting (if you are allowed).
• Have a 2 hour reminder on your phone/laptop to take a 10 minute walk.
• Walk or ride a bike to work instead of driving.
We would love to hear from you so drop your step count in the comments below!
PS. If you’re manically pacing around the house/office because “I’m trying to get those steps in” then you’ve probably missed the point.